We are pleased to host site for Back Bay Boat Rentals offering a range of motor boats at modest fees. Rentals are offered on a first-come first served basis. Reservations can be made by calling in with a credit card payment of the basic rental price. If you cancel after making a paid reservation, credit is issued for a future rental.
Fishing kayaks and family sized rafts are also available.
Requirements for boat use
- Offered only to members of the boating and fishing club.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- A NJ boat safety course card or completion of our on-site pre-rental boat safety course for a single day use (allow an extra 1/2 hour for this).
- A valid driver’s license
- a cell phone (If no working cell phone then renting the handheld marine radio is required equipment)
- Approval prior to first use by the safety manager.
- Notification of club manager in advance prior to every use.
The boats and equipment may change over time. Sometimes boats or motors are unavailable during periods of repair.
1 person – 12’ aluminum boat
2 persons maximum – 12′ aluminum boat
3 person maximum – 14′ aluminum boat
4-5 person maximum – 16′ fiberglass boat
Pre-rental boat safety course
This section applies if you do not have evidence of taken an approved NJ boating safety course. The rules are established and enforced by the NJ State Marine Police.
Our own pre-rental safety course takes about 20 minutes. The operator’s certificate issued is good for that day only.
Purchase of the NJ Boater Safety manual is required by state law. The cost is $10. This must be in your possession on the boat at all times. If you return to rent on additional days, bring your book to avoid the need to repurchase it.
The equipment may vary slightly on different boats. The dollar amount represents the charge if the equipment is not returned in good condition.
- Paddle $10
- handheld marine radio $150 (optional, requires $50 extra deposit)
- Air Horn $10
- Life Vest $5 to $25
- Dock Line $5
- Anchor Line $15
- Anchor $15
- Battery $100
- Battery Cable $25
- Motor $400 to $1,800
- Boat $250 to $1000
- Bail Scoop $1
- NJ Boating Safety Handbook $10
All rentals are subject to the details included in the rental agreement.
Two club members must be present on site during a boat rental.
Rentals are available only for boat use in the creek. Boats may not be taken into the open bay.
The safety manager may cancel any boat rental if safety is a concern.
Rentals are for calm weather only. If weather turns rough and we cancel a rental then credit will be issued for another rental.
1/2 day is up to 4 hours before noon or after 1 pm. 2 hour rate, if available, falls within either 1/2 day period.
All rentals end until one hour before closing.