Most sources say that DEET-based insect repellents work best and are safe when used as directed. Some people prefer using naturally occurring chemicals contained in plant oils. No matter what approach you take
, don’t ignore our motto when spending time outside in rural South Jersey: “Never underestimate the bugs“.
These five plant oils reportedly repel insects:
- Eucalyptus – Often combined with citronella oil to keep bugs away. The Journal of Medical Entomology reports that eucalyptus extract can reduce tick bites
- Lavender – repels mosquitoes and flies
- PennyRoyal – a mint family plant that is toxic to insects
- Lemongrass – a flea and tick repellent
- Lemon – can work against fleas and other bugs
Be aware that oil-based products can increase sunburn.
We carry both DEET-based and plant oil based repellents at the bait shop.