This is a photo of Newport Landing in 1904 about a mile up the winding Nantuxent Creek past the cove at Money Island. At that time there was no settlement at Money Island as far as we know. The causeway that became Money Island Road probably wasn’t built until the 1930s. Back then Newport was primarily used to ship agricultural products including tomatoes. Today the landing is used for smaller recreational boats but not the type of large boat shown in this photo. The large commercial boats relocated to Money Island closer to the mouth of the bay. Oyster and crab boats line most of our shoreline especially on East Nantuxent (aka Shell Lane). Money Island is still the second most important commercial port in South Jersey bringing in about $28 million in seafood annually.