Most sources say that DEET-based insect repellents work best and are safe when used as directed. Some people prefer using naturally occurring chemicals contained in plant oils. No matter what approach you take, don’t ignore our motto when spending time outside in rural South Jersey: “Never underestimate the bugs“.
These five plant oils reportedly repel insects:
- Eucalyptus – Often combined with citronella oil to keep bugs away. The Journal of Medical Entomology reports that eucalyptus extract can reduce tick bites
- Lavender – repels mosquitoes and flies
- PennyRoyal – a mint family plant that is toxic to insects
- Lemongrass – a flea and tick repellent
- Lemon – can work against fleas and other bugs
Be aware that oil-based products can increase sunburn.
We carry both DEET-based and plant oil based repellents at the bait shop.